Monday, 29 October 2012

Montgomery firefighters douse single-room blaze at State House Inn

The Montgomery Fire Department on Monday afternoon quickly extinguished a fire at the State House Inn in downtown Montgomery.
No one was injured in the fire, which was confined to the room where it started, said Lt. Kenny Jones, a fire department spokesman.
The department received the call at 1:33 p.m., and 12 units and 48 personnel responded, Jones said. It was a second-alarm fire, he added.
The city is buying the Madison Avenue property where the aging hotel sits and plans to implode the building and use the empty space to attract a developer to the site.
The 69,000-square-foot building, located at 924 Madison Ave., was built in 1962. Deputy Mayor Jeff Downes said in a Montgomery Advertiser story last week that the property at one time was a Holiday Inn, and it has deteriorated over time. He said there are rooms with boarded-up windows that don't meet current building codes.
Mayor Todd Strange has said that he hopes to close the hotel by the end of the year, according to previous Advertiser reports.
? Scott Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment